Master Plan Review Update
The City of South Haven is currently reviewing its 2011 Master Plan and developing a new 2017 Master Plan. The process kicked-off in October 2016 and is expected to continue through the beginning of 2018.
How can I participate in the 2017 Master Planning process?
- Provide your input by joining the Planning Commission, consultants, staff, and interested residents a the upcoming Master Planning workshops and meetings: Master Plan tentative Meeting Schedule
- Learn more by reviewing Master Plan Meeting Agendas and Meeting Minutes and learn about Previous Public Input Opportunities.
- Neighborhood Workshops
- Special Meetings
- Learn what the public is saying about what matters most to them by reading Public Input Analysis
A strategic plan that looks at long-term visions for the entire city: 5, 10, 20 years into the future.
The Plan proposes policies, goals, objectives, and implementation strategies to reach those visions.
How is the Master Plan developed and written?
It is done through a public process of workshops, meetings, and coordination among the Planning Commission, city staff, the public, and your elected officials.
- Joint Planning Commission and City Council meeting where City Council approves the distribution of the DRAFT Master Plan for a 63-day comment period.
- After the 63-days: Planning Commission holds a public hearing and recommends adoption to City Council.
- City Council adopts the Master Plan and distributes it to adjacent communities.
The Master Plan looks at what the community would like for the City of South Haven to be in the future. It takes the current zoning districts and the uses permitted in each into account, but looks beyond the current situation to see how the City should change and stay the same.
More important to the Master Plan is the Future Land Use Map and the sections on Housing and Transportation and the implementation strategies to reach those goals and objectives.
The Process requires the public, staff, and the planning commission to think in ideals and not in current constraints.
The Zoning Ordinance is then sometimes amended or in some instances rewritten to implement the goals through current development. Sometimes, however, the Zoning Ordinance is not changed. It is another process often facilitated by consultants.
2011 Master Plan
Abonmarche facilitated the development and adoption of the 2011 Master Plan.
In 2016, the Planning Commission reviewed the Master Plan and determined they would like to rewrite the Master Plan, Incorporation some of the goals from 2011, and gathering public input to create a more user-friendly Master Plan.
South Haven Master Plan Draft 2-26-2018
South Haven Master Plan Map Packet 2-26-2018
MainStreet Planning Company were retained to facilitate the development and adoption of the new 2017 Master Plan.
The kick-off to the planning process began in October 2016 and is projected to continue until the end of 2017.